Detroit Institute of Arts
[ map / directions ] [ street view ]
[ 3-D aerial view - Chrome/Firefox desktop/laptop only ]
from the DIA website: ''The DIA has been a beacon of culture for the Detroit area for well over a century. Founded in 1885, the museum was originally located on Jefferson Avenue, but, due to its rapidly expanding collection, moved to a larger site on Woodward Avenue in 1927. The new Beaux-Arts building, designed by Paul Cret, was immediately referred to as the ''temple of art.'' Two wings were added in the 1960s and 1970s, and a major renovation and expansion that began in 1999 was completed in 2007.''
The Detroit Industry Murals
In 1932, Diego Rivera was commissioned to paint murals for the museum's garden court, that related to the history of Detroit and the development of industry and technology. When the murals were completed in 1933, they caused a controversy based on themes that are still familiar today, renewed by racial tension and the emergence of Covid-19. Don Gonyea wrote in a 2009 article for NPR: ''Many people objected to Rivera's work when it was unveiled to the public. He painted workers of different races - white, black and brown, working side by side. The nudes in the mural were called pornographic, and one panel was labeled blasphemous by some members of the religious community. The section depicts a nativity scene where a baby is receiving a vaccination from a doctor and scientists from different countries took the place of the wise men.''
- Detroit Institute of Arts website
- About Diego Rivera's masterpiece, The Detroit Industry Murals - Detroit Institute of Arts
- "Detroit Industry: The Murals of Diego Rivera" - by Don Gonyea for NPR
- Browse stock photos